      From: Josh Muckley via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
 To: C&C List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Josh Muckley <muckl...@gmail.com>
 Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 9:30 PM
 Subject: Re: Stus-List Baby stay vs Cunningham?

Ultimately, to answer your question, IMO the Cunningham is a valuable addition.
For me adjusting halyard tension is more difficult than adjusting Cunningham.
My Cunningham is a 5 to 1 fiddle block arrangement which pulls down on a
pennant that passes through the luff cringle (2 to 1) resulting in a compounded
10 to 1 purchase system.
With my tides marine strong track system I can nearly raise the mainsail bare
handed.  In a hurry I can close the jammer and yank on the Cunningham and have
a good luff tension.  Given a little more time, a quick crank on a winch and
the sail is set.  On upwind runs when trying to move the draft forward I can
harden up on the cunningham and the outhaul.  If I need to further flatten the
sail or keep the mast from pumping I haul on the baby stay.  As I round the
mark for the down wind run I release the cunningham to move the draft back.
Release the outhaul to increase the draft overall and easy the babystay as long
as there is no pumping or rough chop.
Long story short - all jammers, all hand tightened, none of that requires a
winch... Or anybody getting out of the cockpit.
Josh MuckleyS/V Sea Hawk1989 C&C 37+Solomons, MD