Seems to be a difference of opinion.  I've installed several but that
doesn't make me an expert.  I've seen aluminum rivets, stainless rivets,
machine screws and hex head bolts.

My opinions on each.

Aluminum rivets - not strong enough.  Will eventually work loose or break.

Stainless rivets - my choice.  Very, very low potential to work loose or
break.  Coat with TefGel to minimize dissimilar metal corrosion.  Downside
- requires expensive rivet tool.

Machine screws - some potential to work loose.  Once they work loose, bad
things can happen.  I don't have a real issue with them as long as they're
coated with red thread locker.

Hex head bolts - some potential to  work loose but, in my opinion, a better
choice than machine screws.  Coat with red thread locker.  If you need to
remove them, easier than machine screws.  They can also be tightened more
than machine screws.

Bottom line - if you don't have a Big Daddy rivet tool, screws or bolts are
fine.  Just use red thread locker and inspect them every now and then.

Hope this helps.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA