Hello all,
We have a 1994 C&C 37/40+ with an Adler/Barbour A/C unit.  The drain pan is the
issue.  When we bought the boat, the surveyor noticed the rusty pan, and
suggested cleaning out the rust. In addition, the drain for the pan for some
reason is in the side of the unit rather than in the bottom.  The hose then
attaches, runs a couple inches and goes through a hole and down to the
through-hull.  Why the pan was not made out of Aluminum, Stainless or HDPE is
beyond me!  Instead, it is painted mild steel.  Ugh...

That said, the paint is flaking off, and is somewhat rubbery, and therefore
clogging the drain.  My questions are as follows:
The unit seems relatively difficult to get out, and access to the far side of
the pan is virtually impossible.  Is there a cure for the rust & paint peeling
that does not involve removing the unit?  Also, have any of you revised the
drain so that it drains down, rather than through the side of the pan?  Have
any of you replaced the pan, and how big a deal was it?
Thanks for all your help, Bruce Whitmore

(847) 404-5092 (mobile)
bwhitm...@sbcglobal.net