I ordered a mast gate from mastgates.com this June before departing on our
summer cruise. I don't want to dissuade you from them yet because the jury
is still out (I'm working with Tom to hopefully get it to work) but I
haven't been able to make it usable yet.

The design and installation of the mast gate is more complex than I
expected, and basically if you don't very precisely position the metal, the
sail slugs will just pull right out, or get stuck. This is very
inconvenient when reefing in 20 kts with steep confused waves (wind against
current in a Strait).

Apparently the order packer sent the wrong kind of rivets with my mast
gate, so Tom sent the correct ones which I'll try out in August now that
we're back. He prefers plastic reusable rivets over tapping machine
screws.  I'm not sure the new rivets are going to fix the issue though,
because the thin SS plates are difficult to shape correctly to the mast
slot, and they're fairly distorted now from the hammering (which you're
supposed to do to shape them) and sail slides ripping out.

His design was custom fit to the 7" long slot of the LF38 mast, but the
relatively flimsy SS flexes or bends a bit in the middle which can result
in slugs pulling out. The instructions also require dremeling away some of
the aluminum lip of the mast's slot, to get the gate to fit snugger, which
is a bit of a tricky process to do precisely.

Tom has offered to make a new top cover plate though which might be better.

-Patrick
1984 LF 38
Seattle, WA