I replaced my original 35 amp alternator with a much larger capacity one.
Defender had a sale on a Balmar alternator with an external regulator.
With so much more drain (refrigeration, computer, MFD, etc.) it was a no
brainer to make the change.  My engine is a 3GMF (20 hp).

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC
Portland, OR