The black marks from the ribbing can be greatly  minimized by smearing a coat of thick automotive wax on the ribs and letting it dry without buffing it off. Porta-bote has improved replacement seats that are a big improvement. I think they can probably provide replacement foam as well if you ask. Porta-bote is really just one guy named Sandy, and his assistant, in an office. The boats are manufactured under contract at a plastics fabricator a few miles away.  A pair of the new seats for my 8 footer were about $300 including shipping. Worth every penny.

Bill Bina