From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Kevin Paxton
via CnC-List
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 8:41 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Kevin Paxton <kpax...@paxdesigns.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Replacing Cabin Sole - 35MkIII

Did this last year on our 34'. Dave and Mike are spot on with everything.
Definitely tape the lines where you will be cutting to protect the veneer. I
also used a circular saw, table saw, jig saw and a router. Used a hand planner
for final tweaking of the cuts.

My new lines were not the same width as the old but it wasn't much of an issue.
When you trace out the templates it isn't too hard to line everything up.

One thing I did that I didn't see mentioned was to drill all holes before
applying any epoxy. I also epoxied the whole thing to seal it in completely,
then finished with epifanes. I used West system 105/207. The 207 is a clear
hardener that won't mess up the top finish.  I did about 3-4 coats of each. A
foam roller for the epoxy and foam brushes for the varnish. I tried the cheapo
chip brushes but continuously got stray bristles everywhere.

The epoxy if I remember correctly you didn't want it to dry completely between
coats.
The varnish I wet sanded in between coats. Gradually getting higher in grit
between each.

Try to control dust as much as possible. Do this in a clean area where there
isn't much traffic. Or surround it all by plastic to prevent anything from
getting into it.

It was definitely a long, tedious process. But it was definitely worth it. Our
old sole was chipping and so deteriorated. But once this went in, it was like
it was a new boat.

Kevin Paxton
82' 34
Cornfield creek, Pasadena, MD

The bills have started coming in for the year 2018 and have gone up again.
October will be our fund raising month.  Please consider sending a small
contribution to help keep this list running.  Use PayPal to send contribution
--   https://www.paypal.me/stumurray

All contributions are greatly appreciated!