Doug;

Before I comment, let me repeat something I’ve posted to the list before: About
40 years ago an old, retired USCG Master Chief taught me that the best rule of
thumb for an anchor setup was to have at least a pound of anchor and a foot of
chain for each foot of boat length. That has always worked for me, and the
times I recall dragging anchor over the years were almost always on a charter
boat or delivery with a piddley little Danforth anchor on them.

That said, the consensus of boating friends and the cruisers who come through
the marina I manage is that the Rocna and Mantus anchors are pretty much
superior to anything else in terms of holding power and setting reliably (and
very similar in performance). So the pound/foot rule might be overkill for
those anchors.

Your anchor selection is probably mostly dependent on how you will use the boat.

Do you plan to stay in marinas each night and use the anchor as a lunch hook?

Do you anchor out frequently, but almost always in protected harbors/coves/side
creeks in fair weather?

Do you envision anchoring in more open anchorages and being out in occasional
thunder storms and transient weather like the passage of a cold front overnight?

Will you be doing extended cruising and exposed to open anchorages and gale
force winds?

The first two situations argue for a smaller anchor that is easy to store and
handle, and easier to pull up to the boat. (You don’t need to worry about
breaking the anchor out of the bottom by hand; just pull the rode In until it
is at stays – parallel to the angle of the forestay – or straight up and down
and then motor forward a few feet to break out the anchor.)

If your  plan is in the latter two scenarios, the bigger anchor will be more
difficult to store and handle, but will let you sleep more comfortably at night.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC