Hi Alex,

We used a lot of those “remodel boxes” when I worked as an electrian.  They
will rust up good on you, and were designed for drywall.  If your wall is to
thick to use the back flange, just use metal shears, and cut them down.  Not
actually an easy job, a dremel cutter wheel might work easier, but make
sparks-careful.
A cheap blue plastic box from Home Depot might work better, it’s usually bigger
indside too, and you can screw it into the wood you have, or add a scrap to
screw into.  You would be surprised how much stuff needs to be modified to
work.  Don’t get me started on plaster and lath walls.

Good luck, Lee