Yes, I know about all of this. The problem is that they do not isolate the data regarding "state" when collecting the data. All they have is "hailing port" which can be just about anything. Usually it includes a two letter abbreviation for the state, but it is not captured as a separate piece. People also often give their land based home as the hailing port, even if it is hundreds of miles from where the boat is kept. The mailing address also does not always tell you what state the boat is in. Trust me, this is not as easy as it looks. :-)

Bill Bina