States may require registration for documented vessels, but they cannot require you to display registration numbers on the boat. They may require display of a sticker indicating that state fees/taxes have been paid. Federal laws always supersede state law.  It violates Federal Law to display state registration numbers on a federally documented vessel.

Bill Bina

On 1/25/2018 5:50 PM, David Castor via CnC-List wrote:
Annual sticker that is paid for every year.

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 2:31 PM svpegasus38 via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>> wrote:

    Same with Washington. State. Just have to display the state
    sticker on documented vessels.

    Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
    Doug Mountjoy
    POYC
    Rebecca Leah
    Lf39

    -------- Original message --------
    From: schiller via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com
    <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>>
    Date: 1/25/18 13:40 (GMT-08:00)
    To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
    Cc: schiller <schil...@bloomingdalecom.net
    <mailto:schil...@bloomingdalecom.net>>
    Subject: Re: Stus-List "Maritime Documentation Center"

    Michigan requires that you display the Michigan Registration
    sticker on documented boats.  You will get a registration number
    when you register the boat but you do not have to display them.
    Before I renewed the documentation on Corsair (Redwing 35), I
    displayed the registration numbers on a plastic panels hung from
    the bow lifelines.  Michigan has now outlawed that so I documented
    Corsair.  I hate putting registration numbers on the fiberglass
    bow.  Grace (C&C 35-3) already had registration numbers on the bow
    and has never been documented.

    Interestingly enough, the water cops all think any boat over 25'
    that doesn't display registration numbers must be documented so
    they don't check.  Even if they aren't displaying the registration
    sticker.

    Neil Schiller
    Old: 1970 Redwing 35 (C&C 35, Mark I), Hull #7
    New: 1983 C&C 35-3, #028
    White Lake, Michigan
    WLYC