Everyone has their favorite knots and they all have their merits, so if
your happy with your arrangement stay with it.

The reasons why I like this Jeanneau Halyard knot is that it won't untie
it's self as Joel pointed out and because the bitter end is away from the
sheave and not likely to foul when fully hoisted.

With the bowline, Matt, it can jam in the sheave and over time it can cause
the knot to (term I heard a rigger use) capsize or as they added "becomes a
non-knot" making it vulnerable to coming apart. I had this situation on one
of my old halyards before it was replaced with the halyard knot.

The barrel knot mentioned by Josh looks better than the bowline because it
does not look like it can capsize, but because the bitter trails back along
the halyard, I  would worry that it too may be prone to jamming in the
sheave ... I don't know and don't want to know :)

I am certainly no expert on the absolute best knot but I was impressed with
the properties of Jeanneau halyard knot.

My two cents. :) and a half hitch!

Regards
Jim
S/V Strong Tower