Dan,

That sounds pretty normal for a leaky seal to not hold pressure.  It’s odd that
you leaked so much fluid though.  The backstay is the highest part of the
system.  I would think that the pressure would eventually leak down to zero and
then stop leaking altogether.

I’ve had my seals replaced before.  Cheap and easy fix.  I’ve also noticed that
if you keep the top seal covered, it lasts longer.  Some folks use a foam can
holder for this, although it doesn’t look that great.  Keeping the seal out of
the sun will keep it lasting longer.

Jake

Jake Brodersen

C&C 35 Mk-III “Midnight Mistress”