Thanks for the update Tim.
Disappointing news about Kracor.
Typical unfortunately of what happens when a small company is taken over by a
large corporation.

I have observed that the flat tops on the fairly thin roto-moulded tanks bulge
quite a bit when full, and I have not been successful in stopping the
clean-outs from leaking either. Like you, I have reached the conclusion that
this is just a design "feature". I thought about lubricating the O rings, but
couldn't think of anything that I wanted to have in contact with drinking
water.

Steve Thomas
C&C36
Merritt Island, FL

---- Tim Rutherford via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
Just to report back on this thread, what follows is my twisted 11-week path
to resolution of a crack in one of my water tanks plus hairline cracks
around the inspection ports, and difficulty getting a good seal on the
Quest fittings on both tanks:

Kracor initially said that they could quote replacement roto-molded tanks,
but when it came down to it, they have been acquired by Yamaha and will now
only quote large quantity orders.

South Shore Yachts was able to quote new tanks from a third party but at
over $1000 each, plus shipping to Florida, seemed cost prohibitive.

Ultimately, I used a Florida tank manufacturer & repair facility, Seelye
Inc., in Ocoee, FL to repair the crack in the tank. The cost to weld an
8-inch crack was $65. They tested it to be leak free but there is no
warranty.

On reassembly, I had trouble getting a seal around the suction fittings,
which are Qest elbows, but found that if I first connected the tubing to
the fitting and then screwed it in, I could get another couple of turns on
the fitting. Both tanks are essentially leak-free except for a little
weeping around the inspection ports if overfilled. I plan to avoid
overfilling.

While at it I also replaced the 4" o-rings on the tank ports (AS568-240),
and on the old-style Jabsco suction strainers (AS568-131) and installed a
Teflon back-up ring (AS568-007) under the strainer cover screw heads.

Now on to the next adventure...

--
Tim Rutherford
Chamamé