The tube is supposed to vent accumulated  gasses to the intake.  Usually
exhaust gas blow by the rings.  Some oil carry over is normal and a brillow
paf style if separator can usually be found at the valve cover where the
tube attaches.  Excessive blow by is indicative of stuck, worn, or broken
rings or other internal problems.

I have no idea what the PO's maintenance practices were or what oil he
used.  What I do know is that I got stuck rings the very first season I
owned the boat.  I successfully unstuck them but had a similarly wet air
filter as you described.  I installed a blow by canaster to monitor and
catch the oil instead of soaking the air filter.  It allows me to monitor
the amount of blow by oil too.  I've been using Amsoil diesel oil since and
in recent years have noticed a considerable decrease in the amount of oil
accumulated.

You can see the canister in this video.
https://youtu.be/H-GI38vE4hQ

And you can buy one here.