I've only put 3 rings in before, with the cuts for each ring equidistant from
one another.  You should be fine.
Bruce Whitmore

-------- Original message --------From: Ainslie via CnC-List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> Date: 5/10/18  8:47 PM  (GMT-05:00) To:
cnc-list@cnc-list.com Cc: Ainslie <ains...@hay.net> Subject: Stus-List Stuffing
box material

Hello,

The stuffing box on my 35 Mk 3 had a steady drip last fall,
so I repacked it recently. According to my callipers, I could use ¼” flax
in the gland nut (1” shaft). This seemed to pack in easily enough, but I
was only able to get three rings in and still have enough threads on the nut.
However,
I had pulled four rings out! There’s no way I could get four of these
quarter-inch rings in. My question: have I made a mistake – should I have
used 3/16” material? As I mentioned, the packing seemed to fit into the
gland fairly easy with just finger-pushing, but could this overheat the shaft,
and are three rings enough? Launch is next Wednesday, so I’d have to move
quickly if I need to downsize it to 3/16”. Thanks!

Jason Ainslie, Spirit

1984 C&C 35-3

Bayfield, ON