Hi Jason,

Coincidentally, I had the same thing this spring.

Completely removed the shaft log, cleaned it up, and replaced the hose and
clamps. (Buck Algonquin – Don’t ship it by FedEx BTW)

Partly as it was on the ‘to do’ list, and partly because of a new shaft
(1-1/8”) and prop.

The original packing was simply wound around in a one piece spiral BUT it
worked like that for 30+ years.

Didn’t measure the size of what came out….my bad.

Same thing as you, I used a calliper, did the math, bought ¼”.

When I tried to fit the packing in the nut, it would not go without a fight.
I had to beat it into a rectangle, and then I only got 3 pieces in, as I had
reduced the width, but then increased the height.

A smaller packing would have gone in easier and after tightening the nut,
the opposite occurred. I.e. increased the width, but reduced the height.
3/16 I should have used, and  is now in my parts list going forward.

As for the concern over 3 turns being enough.

If the shaft log is 12” below WL, then the pressure on the packing is about
0.5 PSI.

(An Engineer would give you 86 decimal places but directionally for every 2
ft head = 1 PSIG)

So the pressure is irrelevant/diddley squat , we are not dealing with a
through hull on Das Boot.

3 turns  vs. 5 turns vs. 1 turn is irrelevant as long as it does the job.

What IS important are the arrangement of the packing cuts and the tightness
of the nut.

Arrangement;

Second Ring = 180 deg to the first

Third Ring = 60 degrees to the second

Subsequent rings = 60 degrees to the previous.

Tightness;

ALWAYS have a drip coming in. This will primarily indicate that you have a
clearance of some kind that will prevent overheating of the shaft.

If you don’t have a drip, then you have no indication of the tightness range
which could be anywhere from; “Just above a drip” to “I’m going to generate
enough heat to either burn the packing or destroy the shaft” or both.

I don’t know much about a lot of other tech stuff,  but shafting,
mechanical,  etc.  Yes I do.

 As a Marine Engineer , (an old one) I was trained on a ship with 42,000
SHP, 36” shaft and 4” square Flax packing. Took a full few days to clean out
the old and fit new. (in Dry-dock of course)  The above  installation
procedure was basic and the drip was checked every 2 hrs when underway.
(Don’t want to replace a burnt 36” shaft.)

Submitted with respect of the knowledge/experience of others