Steve,
There are several reasons to go to an all rope halyard for a cruising boat:
1.  While wire does indeed have low stretch, 1/2 of the rope will still be made
from all polyester.  In a 45' mast, with a potential 3% elongation at 30% load,
that still translates to nearly 1.5' of stretch.  Not insignificant.  Most high
modulus ropes stretch around .4% which is far more manageable.
2. A wire halyard fixed in place on a sheave over a long period of time will
exhibit wear and eventually part on the outer radius where it goes around the
sheave.  While most stainless wire won't show excessive external corrosion,
stainless isn't corrosion free (check your lifelines sometime to confirm).
When wire wears or frays, it gets nasty meathooks that will wear down sheaves
(usually aluminum) and can shred bare skin like a razor blade
3.  Wire is heavy.  High modulus rope is light and even in some cases buoyant.
Most folks don't think about adding weight to a cruising boat, but weight aloft
makes for more heel and less stability.  As you move away from the center of
gravity of a sailing vessel, the weight of an object gets amplified by the
distance from the CG.  Which is why you always need to compensate with a deeper
or heavier keel if you increase your mast height.  Adding weight aloft makes
more of a difference than one would think.
4. Sail shape is important whether you race or cruise.  I'll support the
rope/wire halyard logic if you still have the old dacron sails that your boat
came with.  Pillow case shaped sails can be adjusted with virtually any type of
ropes or wires.  But if you've made the investment to upgrade your sails to
something that has some shape for upwind performance, keeping the sails
properly trimmed will make the best of your investment.  Old wire halyards
grinding on 35 year old worn wire sheaves aren't going to be likely to turn
easily under loads, which mean your "set it and forget it" jib will have far
too little tension in a blow OR way too tight in light airs.
5.  Old rope/wire halyards are likely worn elsewhere beyond the masthead.
Anywhere you can find flat spots, broken fibers on the cover or lumps inside
the rope means that overall strength of the rope is compromised.  Some folks
will end for end a rope halyard which extends the life of a rope by changing
out the wear segments (rope clutch for example) to a new section on the line.
You can't do that with halyards made with wire.
6.  Technology improvements.  Lighter, stronger, better handling, less hassle
(let me know how much fun it was doing a wire to rope splice).  Even though I
can listen to AM radio in my car, I prefer the better sound quality of FM or
digital music sources that can connect via Bluetooth devices.  Yes, the sound
system probably added to the price of the vehicle, but it was worth it.
Chuck Gilchrest
S/V Half Magic
1983 35 Landfall
Padanaram, MA

I don't see the point in changing to all rope on a cruising boat with roller
furling. Set it and forget it, and no worries about chafe or UV degradation up
at the top. Wire lasts longer than anything in that sort of service.

Steve Thomas

C&C36
Merritt Island, FL

C&C27 MKIII
Port Stanley, ON

---- Gary Nylander via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
I have raced on a couple of J-80’s and now on a C&C115. All have rope – all
have furlers, and they don’t take anything down during the season.

Don’t see a problem.

Gary