Thanks Dennis, very similar numbers to what my 35 MKII likes; similar rigs
I guess.  I have tried more tension on the uppers, in fact to 1200 and
above as you note and that works fine in 20+ knots apparent wind.  Let me
also say that if you get head stay tension correct then with about 1000 lbs
on the backstay with a 135% headsail she should hold a nearly close hauled
course without a hand on the wheel as long as conditions stay somewhat
constant, balanced almost perfect which on St. Margaret's Bay can be the
whole way across, or about 6 miles.  Watch for other boats in your path
because she will be moving at 7 or better in 15 apparent

If you dare go forward, lie on your back feet forward and sight up the
mast.  You should see a nice bend in the mast to leeward maximum at about
spreader height...that's what works good, caused by the much lower tension
on the forward and aft lowers.  Beautiful bow, who said the mast on a 35
was too big to bend...bends nicely to leeward and loves it...fun stuff to
play with, get a gauge and have fun

Dwight Veinot
C&C 35 MKII, *Alianna*
Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS