I had a problem with a previous boat, engine dying at higher rpm's.  Turned
out that there was a filter on the fuel take-up, in the tank, that was
partially clogged.  Once I cleaned it, the problem went away.

With my present boat with a 3GMf engine, I had a problem with the
transmission not fully engaging.  I bought a new cone, but that didn't cure
the problem.  On further inspection, I noticed a little "play" (not sure
that's the right word) when putting the transmission in gear.  I fixed the
problem with a couple of shims that eliminated the play.  If anyone needs a
new cone, I have one for sale at half price.

Recently I noticed more vibration than usual at high rpm's while in gear.
Out of gear, the engine runs very smoothly.  I'm pretty sure it's the
cutlass bearing, which hasn't been changed since I bought the boat in
2001.  The vibration isn't so bad that changing the cutlass can wait.
I'll change it when the boat comes out next year.

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC
Portland, OR

Hey Everyone,

Well we were lucky enough to be able to take out our 34 this past Wednesday
for the Blue Angels show in Annapolis. On our way back our Yanmar 3GMF
would occasionally make a knocking sound. I'm hoping you guys might know
what could have caused it.

When it happened:

* We were about to enter into the mouth of the Magothy and I was taking
down the main. My wife had the helm and yelled up saying that something
didn't sound right with the engine. She throttled down and when I got back
everything sounded ok. She said that it sounded like it was going to die.
Like it was running out of fuel.

* We kept it running slowly for a bit without issue. Then I tried to speed
us up again. After about 5-10 mins it started making the noise again. To me
it sounded like a loud knocking or banging sound. I immediately reduced
power again and it immediately went away.

Conditions:

* At the time it started occurring we had about 1/8 of a tank of fuel.

* Heavy, choppy waves for a large portion of our trip due to lots of power
boats. However, at the time it occurred, seas were calm.

* At start up after we sailed for a bit the prop had trouble opening and I
had to reduce power a couple of times to get it to open.

Observations:

* I didn't see anything incorrect or worrysome during operation.

* No leaking oil, fuel, or water.

* Racor water separator doesn't show any water in the bowl. A little gunk
in the bottom but not much.

* When power was reduced, everything sounded normal and operated normal.

Thoughts/Questions:

* Could low fuel/dirty fuel/water in fuel make this happen?

* Could this be more of a vibration from the prop not opening properly? If
that's the case, could it be indicative of something in the strut or
cutlass bearing? We have in the past had A LOT of problems with the prop
not opening.

* I did notice that during operation on the way back that occasionally the
undulation of the waves caused some stress. I'm assuming just because of
stresses on the prop.

Today I filled up the tank and started it up in the slip. It started
immediately and didn't sound like anything was wrong. I brought the
throttle up and down and everything sounds absolutely fine. So I'm at a bit
of a loss as to what to check/do. I do know that I still need to change the
oil and I am planning on changing the fuel filters as well.

I did notice that I am able to see the notch in the prop shaft where it
meets the gearbox. There does not seem to be anything on the shaft that
would indicate that it shifted at all though. Is this normal?

Would love some help from some of the yanmar experts on here please.

Kevin Paxton

'82 34 #473

Japhys Spirit

Cornfield Creek, Pasadena, MD