On my boat I have the foreguy (downhaul) attached to the end of the pole,
and run it to a padeye just aft of the forestay.  Rob is right about not
being able to pull the pole forward with the lazy guy.  If you trip the
pole while going DDW, you can fly the spinnaker with both sheets while
pulling the pole forward with the foreguy.  Then, while sitting or standing
between the forestay and the pulpit, attach the new guy to the pole, gybe
the main, raise the pole on the new tack and steer toward your new target.

You can have the foreguy attached to a bridle so that it pulls down from
the middle of the pole.  That make it easier to move the jib (genoa) to the
other side of the boat which is necessary if you gybe the chute after
dropping the jib.  Having the downhaul attached to the end of the pole
makes it available to grab so that you can use it to pull the pole forward,
but it's a little more work moving the jib to the other side of the boat.

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC
Portland, OR

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 5:52 AM, robert via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

> I always pulled it down and towards me with the lazy guy
>
> Wrong, it is impossible do that with the lazy guy.....on the 34R I always
> pulled it down and towards me with the downhaul which was close to me
> directly in front of the forestay as the downhaul was attached to the outer
> end of the pole.   On the 33 MKII, the pitman would release the topping
> lift and pull down on the downhaul which would swing the pole down and
> towards me.,,, ,downhaul was in the middle of the pole.
>
> Rob Abbott
> AZURA
> C&C 32 - 84
> Halifax, N.S.
>

> On 2018-06-08 6:13 PM, robert via CnC-List wrote:
>
>> Matt,
>> I worked foredeck racing for +30 years on boats of sizes from 24' to
>> 40'....in my opinion, some boats the end for end is the way to go.....other
>> boats the dip pole jybe is the way to go.....some people feel the dip jybe
>> is too complicated, however, once you and your crew get the process
>> choreographed, it is actually simpler, easier and safer than an end-for-end
>> especially on a 36 footer that is mast head rigged.
>>
>> One tip....make sure the helmsman does not over-steer too quickly through
>> the jybe....so, if the pole is too far foreward before the guy is
>> released/tripped we call it, , the jaw(s) are twisted on the guy and won't
>> release easily before the actual jybe, bring the pole back 45 deg or more
>> to make sure the trip of the pole goes smoothly....the jaw(s) won't be
>> twisted on the guy, it will drop easily........have the pit man pull it
>> down or the foredeck person do it. I always pulled it down and towards me
>> with the lazy guy.......and I stayed in front of the forestay looking
>> back......then have the helmsman steer until the chute is flying out
>> directly in front of the boat......attached the lazy guy....tighten it up
>> ...the jybe is made.....now the helmsman can come up into the wind.    The
>> big mistake I have found doing a dip pole jybe is the helmsman steers
>> through the jybe too quickly......the more you practice, the quicker and
>> more precise you get, especially in a heavier wind.....as a foredeck
>> person, I would much rather do a dip pole jybe in a heavier wind than end
>> for end.
>>
>> Rob Abbott
>> AZURA
>> C&C 32 -
>> Halifax, N.S.
>>
>> On 2018-06-08 3:36 PM, Matt Knighton via CnC-List wrote:
>>
>>> Hey All,
>>> Getting new running rigging on a recently purchased C&C 36.
>>>
>>> What does the brain trust recommend for gybing: dip pole or end-to-end?
>>>
>>> I.e. Can get away with only lite sheets or do we need guys as well?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>>
>>> Matt

>>> Thanks everyone for supporting this list with your contributions.  Each
>>> and every one is greatly appreciated.  If you want to support the list -
> [...]
>>> K7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=9w3G7Cf8YfQnrjmt
>>> uNxwDJYr3JMv9f1pAfgAJ9xXYQQ&m=MhwWrdPf_uuLKPSTazYCkbp0iXRlU3