From: CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> on behalf of Josh Muckley via
CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 11:47 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Josh Muckley
Subject: Re: Stus-List Best way to clean Ram-mic connector pins?

I have had numerous issues with pins and socket connections in the past.  I do
not have the magic bullet answer but instead a few things which in combination
with one another have solved my problems.

-Cooper (and other metals) can be effectively cleaned of oxidation with white
vinegar (or other available mild acid solutions).  Apply conservatively and
rinse thoroughly.  I like rinsing with distilled water and then high percentage
alcohol.

-CRC and other companies make a contact cleaner spray.  I don't have any
particular experience with them since I never seem to have jt available but the
galley vinegar is close by.

-If the pins are corroded, imagine what the sockets look like.  I have found
that an acetylene torch cleaning file set OR a micro drill bit set is
invaluable.  In a pinch I've also used single strands of old wire rope and even
guitar strings.  Again, mild acid, rinse, dry.

-Sometimes the pin holes (socket) get weakened and slightly wallowed.  A
jeweler's screwdriver can sometimes get down between the plastic body and the
metal pin to gently close the socket SLIGHTLY.

-Corrosion happened because of moisture.  Eliminate the cause of the moisture
and you will likely never have the problem again.  Most electronics
manufacturers will tell you "clean and dry" connections... To which I say, make
a better connector so that they stay "clean and dry".  Many contacts are gold
or nickel plated and typically won't corrode...until the metal on metal
interface wears through the plating.  So once you have corrosion you know 2
things.  The OEM failed to produce a water tight connector and the contacts are
no longer corrosion resistant.  This is where I justify using dielectric
silicone grease.  The grease will lubricate and rejuvenate whatever watertight
gasket was provided by the OEM.  Additionally, application of grease to the
female side of the connector ensures that water and air will no longer be able
to interface with the metal contacts, specifically those where the plating has
been worn away.  Some people argue that "dielectric" means non-conductive, and
they are correct.  They also argue that the grease attracts dirt, again
correct.  These are absolutely things that need to be weighed but as long as
the connector is being kept tight dirt isn't an issue.  As long as the pins and
sockets have a good mechanical interface the metal on metal pushes through the
grease.  In addition the grease will lubricate and may minimize further wear on
the remaining plating.

-If all of these options fail, don't forget the OEM for warranty or repair
service.

-Finally, check out mouser.com<http://mouser.com> for all types of connectors.
You probably would be able to find a match to the OEM but you can certainly
find an alternative and quite possibly one which is better than the OEM.

Good luck,

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018, 10:59 AM Hoyt, Mike via CnC-List

Persistence has a Standard Horizon GX2150 VHF with a cockpit mounted Ram mic.
The connection is becoming intermittent and I have noticed oxidization in the
boat side socket.

What is the best way to clean the oxidization from these pins?  I think the
pins are copper and the oxidization is green and likely the source of my poor
connection.

I wish to clean but not damage the plastic housing or short the connectors when
the ram mic is plugged in.

Am assuming the brain trust has dealt with this many times before

Thanks

Mike

Persistence

Halifax, NS