Always fun reading what others are doing...

I am not yet launched this year; although I am getting close... Other than a quick splash last fall to motor across lake Michigan (WI to MI ) to bring Rhapsody home after I moved; she has not been in in the water for 4 years.  My job and new house/moving etc. got in the way.  But this year I am going sailing!

So I though I'd share my launch list this year (some done, some not yet done)...  Rhapsody is a 75 model year (built late '74) C&C 27 Mk 3.  She still has the original Universal Atomic 4; normally runs like a sewing machine.  She has been a great boat for me, I've sailed all over Lake Michigan.  And she sails to her rating, I've done OK in the distance races I've entered.  But boats don't take setting for a few years in storage very well...

 * I had fixed some soft core before storing a few years ago. Still
   needed to apply nonskid (KiwiGrip is great stuff, and the gray looks
   great against the white decks) and reinstall the starboard chainplates
 * I needed to repaint the entire hull blue again.  I had repaired some
   damage caused by a bow anchor that got loose and the primer was
   already done.  Needed to finish sand everything, paint topsides,
   boot stripe, and bottom.  Install new graphics for "Rhapsody" and
   registration numbers.
 * The shift linkage for the Atomic 4 was very stiff; almost unusable
   last fall.  I tried to oil it, but it did not help. Replacing the
   teleflex "cable"; what fun.  The binnacle end was not too bad, but I
   hate working stuffed in the very small cockpit lockers.  I don't fit
   very well (at 6'3" and 260lb); other than the access it is not that
   bad.
 * Replaced the cooling water impeller (again, no fun in the locker).
 * Repaired the autopilot.  The old AutoHelm 3000 wheel pilot has
   always worked well, but failed during my trip last fall.  It would
   only turn to port, not starboard.  Diagnosed and replaced the output
   Darlington transistors based on comments on this list and it works fine
 * Clean gas tank, carburetor  and fuel filters.  When I motored across
   the lake last fall I had to keep the choke out to keep the engine
   running, so 4 year old gas (even with stabilizer) is not good...
 * Change oil and put the water lines back on for launch
 * Change spark plugs; check points, distributor cap etc
 * etc...  etc...

You get the idea...  I just thought that others might like to see the type of effort maintaining a  good old boat takes.  I also read with interest the notes from the C&C rescue committee earlier this week; I am just trying to just save my own.

Bob Wooden

"Rhapsody" C&C 27 mk 3