Eric,I just replaced some of my fire extinguishers. There was a year embossed
on the bottom of mine. One was 88, another was 94. As long as the pressure is
in the green, and weight is above minimum on label they are serviceable.(this
is how we check the at the airline I work for).  I use a small kitchen scale.

Doug Mountjoy Rebecca Leah LF39 Port Orchard YC, WA.

-------- Original message --------From: Eric Frank via CnC-List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> Date: 6/27/18  08:56  (GMT-08:00) To:
cnc-list@cnc-list.com Cc: Eric Frank <efran...@mac.com> Subject: Stus-List
checking fire extinguishers & Lifeslings

Checking the condition of the extinguishers aboard Cats Paw - I can’t find a
date on them.  Aren’t they supposed to be replaced every 5 years, or is it
sufficient to just check that the pressure indicator is safely in the green? A
related safety issue - I checked the line inside my Lifesling and discovered
the splice between the yellow polypropylene line and the heavier line that is
secured to a deck cleat was in terrible condition.  It would likely have broken
had we used it. That has not been on my list to check annually but certainly is
now - just passing this along to the group.  Polypropylene is UV sensitive, so
it's likely the plastic line should be replaced.  Is that safe (and would it
satisfy a safety inspection) - if so how does one splice the plastic line with
the heavier line at the end? For this year, I decided to buy a new Lifesling,
although the Sunbrella cover I had made for it when purchased seems in good
condition.

Eric Frank
Cat's Paw, C&C 35 Mk II
Mattapoisett, MA