I had mine apart late last year and was successful in replacing the clutch
lever and clutch eccentric, getting it back together, and operational.
Symptoms were "catching" sound in the until and no positive "feel" for
whether it was engaged or disengaged. The wheel didn't hang up but a couple
dozen little black balls fell out and rolled across the deck, prompting
some thoroughly inappropriate comments from the crew. "You paid what for
that??!!"

The problem with mine centered around the clutch lever slipping on it's
shaft, thus it was impossible to reliably engage/disengage. New clutch
lever and eccentric cost about $50. Parts are stupid expensive , clearly
driven by what the market will bear and not related to manufacturing cost
or value IMO. The clutch adjustment is explained in the manual. Seems mine
is tight too even on the minimum setting. Perhaps the belts *shrink* over
time? In hindsight I probably should have changed the belt too. It seems to
drag on the drum even when disengaged.

The thing seems lightly built for the intended purpose and I don't relish
the thought of having to depend on it for any extended period of time
nonetheless, it came with her.

Biggest trouble I had was finding the contact info to order Raymarine parts
which is orderd...@raymarine.com; 603.324.7600. The repair manual is pretty
good, and is at the link below. Let me know if you need more info.

--
Tim Rutherford
tim.rutherford.m...@gmail.com