Is this the black and orange 4 port manifold? If so, each side of the knobs
has either a round part or a pointed part at the end. The orientation is
vertically, with the pointed part up for open, or the rounded end for
closed.

If they're sideways it will not work.

I ended up removing mine to get a better look. The difference in the ends
is subtle, so I used a marker to mark the pointed ends black.