I had AT4 in Touche', 35-1, for a few years.  Had Martec folding 14x5P
prop.  Fuel economy was about 1 gph for usual conditions.

If you were motoring into wind and waves, you were more than likely "making
bubbles".  That is, in order for you to get to the full horsepower of the
AT4, you were near max rpm, 2500-2800.  Your AT4 is probably a 1:1
transmission.  Your boat speed was slower therefore your prop was probably
cavitating quite a bit due to the high prop rpm.  The resulting
inefficiency drove your fuel usage up.

Diesels are usually reduction drives, usually about 2:1.  Therefore, a
diesel running 2800 rpm has a prop speed of about 1400 rpm.  Diesel drives
are pitched at 12-16, give or take.  That, and a flatter torque curve, is
why diesels are better for punching into waves.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA