When you say that you put in the "correct" amount of oil when you changed it,
did you fill it so that the oil level was in the correct range on the dipstick
at that time? This was before or after your trip?
Splashing oil on the dipstick by cranking the engine tells you almost nothing,
or did you mean that the dipstick reads correctly from that point forward until
you start the engine again? i.e. wipe off the dipstick with a rag, put it in,
take it out, read the level, and it is ok?  If not then the level is too low,
unless you really believe that you have the wrong dipstick. If it were me, I
would not make that assumption.
Blue smoke normally means that the engine is burning lubricating oil, so it is
reasonable to expect the oil level to drop after a long run under that
condition. The good news is that if an engine has been sitting for a long time,
it may burn oil for a while until the rings loosen up and re-seat, and then run
with little or no visible smoke. Fresh oil helps too, of course, and you say
that the smoke situation has improved, so it should burn less oil in the
future.

Steve Thomas
C&C27 MKIII

---- Glenn Henderson via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> I have a 3JH4E on my 41. Strangely, after the engine sits, the dipstick
> for the oil reads nothing unless I "bump" the starter. Then it reads
> normal. I changed the filter and the oil so I know there is the proper
> amount of oil. It just freaks me out to see a dry dipstick after running
> the engine a lot. Has any one else experienced this?

Also, I have a light blue (not much) smoke in operation. I added the proper
amount of "Gumount" fuel additive and it stops. I wonder if that is telling
me anything?  I just bought the boat in May and sailed it to Tampa Bay
using the engine quite a bit and she did great.

Glenn Henderson

C&C 41 WeGo