When I bought our 34 back in 1996 I noticed unused holes about 10" under the
boom.  It took me a few years to figure out the boom had been raised by prior
owner;  this was when I was measuring for a new main and the old sail
measurements were shorter than the specs.  So I don't have good reference for
how it impacted performance, but I can't imagine lowering the boom considering
the head clearance, etc;  I also had the main made so it was ~6" below the top
of the mast.  My experience racing this boat over the years is the main is the
minority of your performance.. it's all about the right headsail, right amount
of heel and VMG downwind with the spinnaker.   Btw, I did have a SS gooseneck
made as the aluminum OEM was not going to last.
Sean Conner/LADYHAWKE