Marine SSB will connect you to many maritime nets for weather and safety
reports as well as to the cost guard.  It will allow you to send email and
position reports as well as receive weather gribs.  Most marine ssb radios will
open to the ham bands and connect you to millions of hams and to marine
maritime networks.  You will have to get a license for that.  Marine ssb will
work anywhere in the world and is not dependent on satellites.  It is also for
the most part free.  SSB also has DSC if new enough.

Iridium is probably more reliable for communication with an individual but will
not be heard by other boaters.  It is also still relatively expensive.  If your
concern is calling home Iridium or similar service is far superior to SSB.

You can communicate with the
Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) to provide the communication
support needed to implement the global search and rescue from either but your
best bet here is a EPIRB.

I have an Amateur SSB radio on my boat.  It consumes about 200 Watts (about 20
amps) when transmitting.  Most marine ssb put out about 150 Watts but consume
about 300 Watts (around 30 amps) when transmitting. Satellite phones use much
less power usually under 5 Watts.  Many have their own rechargeable batteries.

I guess the best way to look at it is comparing a modern VHF radio to a cell
phone for near shore communication.

Jerry
Sent from my iPhone