Colin,

My setup is much like yours but without the purchase.  A couple thoughts:
- Why do you think that there is too much stress on the cheek block?  Is it
difficult to operate the topper?  I have a similar block which I believe is
rated at 500lbs.  There are times when I pull down against my topper with a
12:1 main sheet.  I'm not putting my all into it but even a modest 30 or 40
lbs of pull quickly approaches the 500lbs limit and I've never had a
problem.
- The topper looks like it is rubbing in that stainless eye strap on the
boom as it leads forward.  Any added friction will make operation
difficult.  I don't know the intended purpose of the strap but I don't
think it is to lead the topper.  It looks like the topper should lead clear
above the strap.
- The twist in the purchase on the port side will absolutely add friction
to the operation of the topper.
- I've given some thought to making my topper adjustable from the aft end
of the boom similar to the way Dennis's works.  TBH I almost got rid of my
topper since I don't really use it.  Its biggest use for me is supporting
the aft end of the sail pack.  You can see it in this video.
https://youtu.be/fT1k5oJhj3E

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+