Dan,
  If you have the correct plug to replace the sensor it isnt risky at all.
Done it many times on every boat I have owned.  Just do.it.
Bill Walker
CnC 36
Pentwater, Mi.

Bill Walker

On Thursday, October 11, 2018 Dan via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

I had a tech support ticket open with Actisense (the Digital NMEA product I'm
using to read my data streams from my transducers) and they confirmed that if
the padwheel is not spinning, NO data will be formed and no NMEA sentenses will
be transmitted. SO - YES, the padwheel HAS to spin, and it's not a wiring issue
(95% certain)...

That said, I went out on deck and tried pulling a line along the underside of
the hull to activate the wheel and tried using oars to move the water around
the waterline but then it started to rain so I gave up the attempt. The only
other non-evasive method is to get in the dinghy and try to reach the wheel
with my hand... or bite the bullet and try pulling the sensor out completely
and replacing it with the plug which to me sounds like extremely risky business
but you guys seem to think it's a breeze...

WISH ME LUCK!

Dan

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 10:57 AM Dennis C. via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>