Fred,

I was with Glenn on our first race with the Raymarine Axiom 9.  We were fine until full darkness when the screen brightness overwhelmed Glenn to the point that he became disoriented.  We literally turned circles in front of a freighter until we could get the brightness down and regained our night vision.  It seemed like we were doing fine until, suddenly, we were unable to compensate for the brightness.  We were used to my Garmin 276C (that we had used for the previous couple of years) that automatically goes into night mode at sundown.  The GPS knows when local sundown is, it's not that difficult to program a night mode.

Neil Schiller
1983 C&C 35-3, #028, "Grace"
Whitehall, Michigan
WLYC