Don’t use steel wool, brass wool instead – no rusting.

Gary

30-1

From: CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> On Behalf Of Hoyt, Mike via
CnC-List
Sent: Thursday, November 1, 2018 1:48 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Hoyt, Mike <mike.h...@impgroup.com>
Subject: Stus-List Interior varnish issues

The interior of Persistence has a lot of varnished teak and the finish has
generally held up very well in the 31 years since it was applied in 1987.
However we are beginning to notice a few spots that may or may not have been
due to water damage at a some point

In one location there is a black stain in the wood under the varnish.  I have
sanded the surface finish away and the black goes into the wood some.  This is
a marine ply teak section so is likely a thin veneer so sanding through this
surface stain is not really an option.  I am thinking of using something like
mineral spirits and have read also that toothpaste and baking soda scrubbed
with a toothbrush may help.  This stain is obviously from past water intrusion.
 The varnish looked good but the stain was on underlying teak.

A second issue we are noting in several areas is a chalky yellowing of the
varnish in small patchy sections.  Am suspecting this may also be due to water
damage and it appears to be a discoloration of the varnish more than the
underlying teak veneer.  Initial light sanding removed a lot of this but after
applying a thinned coat of varnish it is apparent that more prep work is or was
needed.  Have been considering continued light sanding, also perhaps paint
thinner and fine steel wool or even the above mentioned toothpaste and baking
soda scrub.  What is the collective wisdom on the cause of this type of varnish
failure (water?) and the best way to get to bare wood without damaging the
underlying thin veneer?

Although  this is a Carol Marine built boat rather than built by C&C I am
confident many on this list have encountered these issues and come up with
excellent ideas for the best results

Thanks

Mike

Persistence

1987 Frers 33 #16

Halifax, NS

… and for the C&C connection …

Former family boats

1974 Paceship P23 (C&C designed)

1981 C&C 36

1979 Niagara 26 (Hinterhoeller designed and built)