Had the boat fifteen years. I leave my batteries on the boat connected with
everything switched off. I go to the boat at least once a month to connect a
power cord that powers the charger and top them off while I check the cover and
interior and work on projects. On the hard, I keep a power cord run through the
speedo and simply plug it into a receptacle which powers the charger and a
radio I leave turned on. If I hear that music playing while under the boat, I
know she's charging and not have to even climb on the boat, maybe go to lunch
or visit friends. I keep the cord coiled at the boat, not at the receptacle, so
no one does me a favor and powers my boat when I'm not there.

I don't have refrigeration so I never leave the charger plugged in when I leave
the boat, as I live 2 1/2 hrs away and that is an electrical hazzard I don't
want to worry about. When I am at the boat, I plug in power and charge the
batteries and run AC, TV, and lights, and fans. Before I leave, the ice box
gets emptied and the seacocks closed and shorepower unplugged. The life of the
batteries proves this method works well enough. My first set of AGM batteries
bought when I got the boat; one lasted nine years, the other eleven.