Don

RE: packing - you may have too much in the stuffing box.  Our 34 has a 1
inch shaft.  We use 3/16 Teflon packing (much better than flax).  3 strands
cut at 45 degrees with joints staggered.  Works just fine.  Takes a few
adjustments to get the correct drip - none when at rest a few drops per
minute when running.  So we have 9/16 total packing.  If you have 4 strands
of 1/4 inch that is a full one inch - too much IMHO.  Also most important to
ensure you have all the old packing in fact removed.  We use a 1 1/2 inch
screw and screw it into each strand and it easily is removed.  You know you
have it all out if the nut moves freely around the shaft at various angles.

RE: air - have you checked the shut off valve on the inlet?  Maybe needs to
be removed and rebedded??  Same thing on the filter fittings.  How about the
inlet tube inside the tank where it mates to the fitting?  Yes a low fuel
level in the tank will allow air in if heeled to starboard as the inlet is
on the port side.  Just some ideas

John and Maryann
Legacy III
1982 C&C 34