See responses below.

From: Charlie Nelson via CnC-List
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 9:47 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: cenel...@aol.com
Subject: Stus-List Sailing Club with racers

Hello all CnCers;

I have some questions for those of you who belong to Sailing or Yacht Clubs,
especially those with buildings and grounds, etc. Those whose clubs are 'paper
only' can also chime in.

Blackbeard Sailing Club (BSC) has ~ 200 members and is exclusively a sailing
club founded in ~ 1972. We own real estate, a clubhouse, and other buildings
located near New Bern, NC on a creek that joins the Neuse River. Dues are
modest (~$550/year) as are in-water slips (~$1000/year). We also have dry
storage, dinghy storage and dock boxes available for modest fees.

Most of the upkeep is done by member labor with occasional professionals used
to replace entire dock sections, etc. which allows the above costs to be kept
reasonable.

Most members are cruisers with maybe 30 members who actively race either in a
OD San Juan 21 fleet, an Ensign fleet or in local PHRF races run by an active
club (Neuse River Yacht Association) without facilities (a paper club). Our
club (BSC) sponsors an OD regatta and a PHRF regatta or 2 annually and often
helps out with local OD fleets and PHRF races with RC personnel, equipment,
etc. All these fleets are relatively local and many club members are also
members of these fleets/clubs.

I am a member of several paper clubs which are exclusively devoted to
racing--have even served as the Commodore of several of them. In these racing
clubs, all the revenue and expenses are devoted to racing only--this keeps
things simple and relatively low cost, especially without property concerns
(taxes, upkeep, etc.).

Recently, BSC has been approached by an OD club with a proposal for them to
associate with us (most of the OD are members of our club) to assist them with
personnel, equipment, insurance, etc. for their weekday races (~ 10 boats).
This fleet has about 16 race days (Thursdays) per year with several races per
day. This is new 'ground' for our club and while we are keen to support local
sailboat racing in all its forms, we have to be mindful of the majority of our
members who do not race but certainly pay dues, slip fees, etc. Hence our
dilemma--how do we support our racing minority in a club whose majority are
cruisers or day sailors?

What I would like to know from those on the list (in broad terms) is how your
club handles racing in your club, especially if the racers represent a relative
minority of your otherwise cruising members:

Does the club supply RC and mark/safety boats and personnel for your racers?

    Our club supplies a Race Committee boat for the PHRF racing fleet.  The
fleet includes a main and jib fleet (referred to as JAM) that has a very
popular Wednesday evening race series and which also occasionally races on
Sundays.  The Wednesday night races typically have four or five divisions
without about 50 boats total.  These races are usually started and finished
from shore, so the boat doesn’t go out.  The active spin racing fleet has about
a dozen or so boats, and the RC boat usually goes out to start and finish these
races.  The racing fleet operates on its own annual dues structure, which pays
for gas for the boat and, I believe, a stipend for the Race Committee members.
Results are handled by one of the regular racers (free).  The dues for the JAM
fleet are about $100, and for spin and JAM combined about $150.  I believe the
Club occasionally kicks in some assistance, like a keg of beer for a special
event.

    We also have a sailing school that operates more or less with its own
budget, but with some financial help from the Club.  Occasionally, races are
scheduled (like an invitational), and the RC boat is usually used for these.
The sailing school also has an affiliated Foundation that helps financially.

Are the racers covered by the club's liability insurance while on the water
racing?

All PHRF racers must have their own insurance as a pre-condition to signing up.
 Whether or not the Club also has some coverage for PHRF events is probably up
for debate.  I suspect the the Club’s carrier would argue no.  I would think
that the Club has coverage for the sailing school activities as the instructors
are seasonal employees.

Does the club charge a fee or fees for the support it provides?

The Club does not charge a separate fee for PHRF activities but, as indicated
above, the Club-based PHRF fleet itself does.  The Club does charge a fee for
the sailing school, which more or less pays for the instructors.  The Club also
helps with capital expenses for the sailing school (mostly replacing
Optis/420s) and does not charge a separate fee for this.

Does the club impose any fees on the racers for the use of the club facilities
such as the clubhouse for dinners, etc.?

I don’t believe so.  The Club benefits from the PHRF fleet using the facilities
(especially the bar).  Participants pay for their own food and beverages, but a
separate fee is not charged for use of the facilities.

Does your club charge additional fees to your racing members to cover racing
expenses?

See above.

This issue is new to our club and some other local OD fleets and paper clubs
may want a similar association. Thus we would like to get any agreement between
us and a smaller fleet/club mostly correct the first time. Further, I am sure
that this is not the first time this problem has come up in sailing clubs with
racers as members, albeit in a minority.

Any suggestions on how your club handles these issues or others similar to
these would be appreciated, including copies of by-laws, etc. that spell out
how such issues are addressed.

Thanks in advance,

Charlie Nelson
Rear Commodore (to be in 2019!)