Charlie,

My club, City Island Yacht Club, is a club that has land, a clubhouse, and is
heavily sailing oriented, with a large percentage of racing members. As such,
the club has two racing organizations.

The first is the club itself, which runs several races over the season. The
club does not directly own a committee boat nor does it own/maintain racing
marks (more on that in a few). It has its own regatta budget and a regatta
chairperson who administers the events. The budget is fixed, meaning that the
income (entry fees, sponsorships) go back to the club, not the club’s racing
program.

The second is an organization in which the club has a partnership- Eastchester
Bay Yacht Racing Association (EBYRA). EBYRA has its own board and their own
events, including a beer-can evening series and a few day race series. EBYRA
owns a committee boat and race marks, which each of the three owner clubs may
have access to. All of EBYRA’s finances are self-contained. It pays for
insurance, awards, fuel, gear, PRO fees, etc. from its entry fees and
sponsorship income. I was on the board of EBYRA for 19 years, including 13 as
its Commodore.

Happy to discuss the setup and arrangement directly (off list)  if you like.

All the best,

Edd

Edd M. Schillay
Captain of the Starship Enterprise