Hi Marek,

Thanks for your concern. And Merry Christmas to all, a turkey is roasting as I write.

A wee Nanaimo update:
check out this power outage map:
https://www.bchydro.com/power-outages/app/outage-map.html
(click on the red dots at the bottom of Vancouver Island to zoom in)

There are still many islands and areas without power. Comparing this map to the day of the storm, on the day it was much more red than clear. Only the old part of town had power. It is amazing that so much power has been restored. We drove to Victoria the day after the storm and there were no traffic lights for 70 kms. The normally 1 1/2 drive took 2 1/2 hours.

Our yacht club, NYC (Nanaimo Yacht Club) came away with relatively little damage even though there were high tides increased a bit by the storm. Many houses suffered from fallen tree damage. It was a horrible time to be ashore eh. :)

Predictably the main stream media used the event to push global warming agenda like a Southern Baptist preacher casting accusations of sin. So I got to thinking, "but it's an El Nino year." I first learned about El Nino at the Galapagos Islands in 1983, talking with the Port Captain about the odd weather pattern (not at all like the Pilot charts). He simply said it was El Nino, about every 7 years.

1983 to present is 35 years or roughly 5 El Nino cycles. So that part fits. The last El Nino produced a storm during Southern Straits Race that topped 55 knot winds. A bit rough alright, the skipper cancelled our participation so we storm-watched from Parksville beach motel.

So this area gets severe storms, yup. The book, Keepers of the Lights includes a story of a cow getting blown off Triangle Island in a winter storm. Obviously not a foredeck cow, they have a good grip.. probably a grinder. :)

I think the extraordinary tree damage is prevalent due to at least a few factors, heavy rain the past two weeks saturates the dirt making it very soft, the forest is now mature second growth so the trees are twice as big as they were 35 years ago (more inclined to fall over) and there are simply more people on the east coast of Vancouver Island so the chances of a tree actually hitting something important is much higher.

        Cheers, Russ
        ex-Sweet 35 mk-1