Many thanks for your consideration and for your comments.

I have heard from several owners C&C 36's (with my exact boat model) and
from their photos have determined that the installed strut is likely the
one supplied by C&C from the factory and after technical consultation, I
think that the alignment issue can be mitigated with careful installation
of the existing parts.

Conversation with tech support at PYI about mounting tolerances of the PSS
dripless packing leads me to believe that, with what now amounts to shaft
log misalignment, suitable installation can be achieved by care in mounting
the bellows of the dripless packing. *In the end, engine/prop shaft/strut &
cutless bearing alignment have no issues,* and the angle of the shaft log
and it's effect on the shaft seal can be accommodated by tilted mounting of
the bellows, per their instructions. Their support tech even went on to say
that in more extreme cases, usually involving much higher RPMs, horsepower,
and misalignment, that PYI supplies over bored carbon blocks to accommodate
even higher mounting tolerances. Certainly the one I removed from service
was in a much worse situation and was working fine.

Perfect? No. Operationally suitable, reliable, and serviceable? Probably.

I really wanna go sailing...
--
Tim Rutherford
C&C 36-1 KCB #244 - Chamamé