Gentlemen may not sail to weather, but a wise sailor is probably not racing
when there are gale warnings out…

A deep double reefed main and a small blade or storm headsail will get you to
hull speed in those conditions, and greatly reduce the load on the rigging.

From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Charlie
Nelson via CnC-List
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2019 12:25 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: cenel...@aol.com
Subject: Stus-List Headsail only in strong winds astern

Agree with philosophy of not using main in heavy winds astern.

OTOH, I wonder about the unbalanced forces on the stays/boat when a stern wind
is 30+ knots even with some of

the 'telephone pole' masts on some C&Cs when only a head sail is flown.

Mine mast is rather bendy with check stays and in high winds downwind, in
addition to keeping her under control, I admit to some fear of a gravity storm
if I only used the head sail (or with both sails for that matter!).

Charlie Nelson

Water Phantom

C&C 36 XL/kcb