Morgan, I would say that this instructor is sort of right. Those four-spreader
racing noodles are designed to have a main on...and that sail probably won't
have a reef, even. The main does support the mast to a large extent. Those
boats shouldn't be going out in strong offshore conditions. Witness the Bermuda
Race three years ago where even 72-footers didn't start because they thought it
was going to be rough.
But C&Cs are much more robust. The masts on my 40 and my Dads 27 were trees.
The masthead rig on my current boat is less strong, but still designed for use
on an ocean going yacht. My plan for very strong conditions is to drop the main
completely and run a hank-on storm jib on my inner forestay. To stabilize the
mast I will have the babystay and backstay tight enough to induce aft bend but
they won't be totally wound on. The running back stays, which support the mast
at the third set of spreaders where the inner forestay attaches, will be pretty
tight to prevent the mast pumping, keep the inner forestry tight, and prevent
the inner forestay from pulling the mast forward.
My experience doesn't extend to the Tartan built C&Cs but the others should be
just fine sailing without the main in any conditions you're likely to encounter.
Andy

Andrew Burton
139 Tuckerman Ave
Middletown, RI