From: CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> On Behalf Of Rick Brass via
CnC-List
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2019 21:37
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Rick Brass <rickbr...@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Second Reef Point on 33 MKII

The subject of reef points was a topic when my sailmaker and I were discussing
specs for my new mainsail two years ago. As I recall, he said it would be
typical to install the reef points so the first reef reduced the mainsail area
by about 25%, and the second reef point would reduce the original sail area by
about 50%.

Since I was going offshore, the subject of adding a third reef came up. Since
my boom is only set up for two reef points, the recommendation was to go with a
deep second reef (about 58% reduction), and I elected to go up a bit on the
cloth that was used for the main since I might need to fly it in somewhat rough
conditions.

My mainsail has 5 full battens and a Strongtrack system; because of the batten
cars, the stack height at the second reef is fairly high, so the dog bones for
the reef cringle are pretty long to compensate.

On balance, it is probably a conversation you should be having with your sail
maker.

Rick Brass
Washington, NC