Probably not useful information, but the 35-2 we are buying gives just over
1 turn of the wheel on each side of centre. I haven't confirmed what this
looks like down below, but will be interested in the answer you get from
the experts.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 6:09 PM Dennis C. via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> I am putting Touche's steering system back together with the upgraded
> rudder travel limiting bulkhead installed in the later model 35-1's.  Some
> may recall my post some time back that rudder travel was limited by two
> small bolts installed in the last links on each side of the chain.
>
> I used a sketch that Neil Gallagher sent me of his rudder limit plate to
> make wooden templates to tweak for finalizing the shape before cutting
> aluminum ones.  These plates strike the newly installed bulkhead.
>
> As a note, I have taken lots of pictures and am well documenting this
> entire project.
>
> When I tried moving the rudder side to side with the limit plate templates
> installed, the rudder travel wasn't even close to what I saw when the
> travel was limited by the nuts installed in the chain.  There were 4-5
> links of chain left before getting to the link that the stop bolts were
> installed in.
>
> So I looked at the top of the rudder to see how much travel it was
> getting.  It's getting a bit over 45 degrees each side of midships.
> Sheesh, it must have been getting to 60 or 70 degrees with the old limit
> system.
>
> At 45 degrees, the pulling cable is competely off the curved part of the
> quadrant.
>
> So, my question is "how much rudder travel is enough?"  Seems to me
> anything past 45 degrees or so might act more like a brake.  I can't see
> using extreme rudder travel anywhere except in tight quarters in a marina.
>
> Can I live with 45 degrees?  Rob?  Chuck?
>
> Dennis C.
> Touche' 35-1 #83
> Mandeville, LA

Shawn Wright