I recently read of an account where a rudder was jammed so hard against the
hull when reversing and a steering cable broke, that it caused a loss of
steering; even the emergency tiller was unable to break it loose. So I
would imagine ensuring this can't happen at the very least should be the
goal, but maybe that's already obvious - just a newbie here. :)

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 6:51 PM Dave. via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

> Interesting question Dennis. We steer with a tiller and I don’t think we
> ever go past 45 degrees. That a lot of rudder but maybe it is nice to know
> you still have more if you need it. I’m interested to hear what other wheel
> steerers think.
> Dave. Kaseler
> SLY
> 1975 C&C 33
> Sent from my iPad
>
> > On Apr 22, 2019, at 6:08 PM, Dennis C. via CnC-List <
> cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am putting Touche's steering system back together with the upgraded
> rudder travel limiting bulkhead installed in the later model 35-1's.  Some
> may recall my post some time back that rudder travel was limited by two
> small bolts installed in the last links on each side of the chain.
> >
> > I used a sketch that Neil Gallagher sent me of his rudder limit plate to
> make wooden templates to tweak for finalizing the shape before cutting
> aluminum ones.  These plates strike the newly installed bulkhead.
> >
> > As a note, I have taken lots of pictures and am well documenting this
> entire project.
> >
> > When I tried moving the rudder side to side with the limit plate
> templates installed, the rudder travel wasn't even close to what I saw when
> the travel was limited by the nuts installed in the chain.  There were 4-5
> links of chain left before getting to the link that the stop bolts were
> installed in.
> >
> > So I looked at the top of the rudder to see how much travel it was
> getting.  It's getting a bit over 45 degrees each side of midships.
> Sheesh, it must have been getting to 60 or 70 degrees with the old limit
> system.
> >
> > At 45 degrees, the pulling cable is competely off the curved part of the
> quadrant.
> >
> > So, my question is "how much rudder travel is enough?"  Seems to me
> anything past 45 degrees or so might act more like a brake.  I can't see
> using extreme rudder travel anywhere except in tight quarters in a marina.
> >
> > Can I live with 45 degrees?  Rob?  Chuck?
> >
> > Dennis C.
> > Touche' 35-1 #83
> > Mandeville, LA
> >
> > Thanks everyone for supporting this list with your contributions.  Each

Shawn Wright
shawngwri...@gmail.com