Hi Charlie,
never thought I could throw an anchor far enough to work as a kedge.

I've run aground many times with our old 7'4" fin keel, and our newer 6' 3" fin
keel. The advantage of a fin is that when you do hit bottom, you remain very
upright. And the fin presents so little area that we we usually just back out
or spin off. The rudder is only 5' deep so we can usually just spin around and
power out of the shallows. In fifteen years owning the boat, the longest I've
been stuck aground was 45 minutes. My son and I had dinner waiting for the tide
to float us off in a very narrow channel.

I wonder if a better way to get off is to run a dinghy out from the side of the
boat and tug on a halyard. That would heel the boat and reduce your draft a
great deal and help you power off.

I've never tried it, but I bought a diver's lift bag that is meant to lift
1000# using air. My intention was to tie it to a halyard run through the boom
end, swing that out as far as possible and lower it into the water to gather
weight and haul it up to heel the boat. That should create enough heel to
reduce my draft by two feet, so I can motor off.

Opinion: The Fortress anchors are very cool and well engineered and light, but
I gave mine away after seeing how difficult they are to set. I presently have a
Delta on the bow, and two old Danforths as backups stowed below.

Chuck, Resolute, 1990 C&C 34/36R