From: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: shawngwri...@gmail.com
Sent: 2019-04-27 10:53:42 PM
Subject: Stus-List Cleaning epoxy off cabin liner

Hi,

The 35-2 we're still waffling on (!) has many holes in the ceiling liner, and some have been filled with what appears to be epoxy, leaving a yellowish residue around the hole. Is there any safe was to clean epoxy residue off gelcoat without damaging it? One of the things that gives me concern about this boat is the sheer number of holes drilled everywhere, in both the teak and the liner. Some are done well, some not. Nearly every teak panel has some kind of flaw, so the sheer amount of work to clean it all up keeps dropping the boat into "project" category, even though pretty much everything works, aside from a few lights.

Aside from the amount of time I would spend fixing these things, I can't help feeling that a project 35-2 should cost less than $22K CAD. But maybe I'm wrong. I know the seller things it is worth this much because of the upgrades, but the fact is most of these things are 15+ years old, giving them little real value, since they could fail any day. A few things it doesn't have, that I would like to add (I think) are a boom vang, move mainsheet to the traveller, and lead halyard and reefling lines aft. These are going to cost a bit, and many other boats already have these things done.

Of course, the electrical is a whole other can of worms, and will cost me at least $500 - 1000 to resolve depending on where I make a panel and use blade fuses+switches, or go with a bluesea breaker panel.

So when I add these things up, I figure $18K is a more reasonable price for the boat, and that's still ignoring the franken-engine watermaker setup. Or the homemade solar arch with amateur SS welding.

Oh, and I took a hose and sprayed the boat down today after the wind finally eased a bit, forcing water all along the hull-deck joint, windows, etc. No issues at hull-deck joint or chainplates, but two windows leak, in addition to the forward hatch I knew about, and two of the dorades also leak. Not a lot, but I also didn't hold the hose on it that long.

Maybe we'll just buy it, sail it and see how it goes. Maybe I'll flip a coin. I don't know...