Speed through the water is used by most instrument packages to calculate
true wind.  Without it all you will ever have is apparent wind.  Not a
killer but something to consider.

You might be able to find a replacement wheel.  Most are just held in by a
pin.  $5 part.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+