Just my opinion but I would not trust rope over wire.  It chafes and can be
easily cut.

From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Jerome
Tauber via CnC-List
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2019 7:04 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Jerome Tauber
Subject: Re: Stus-List Source for replacement lifelines in Toronto? Now general
lifeline information

I checked those regs and they now permit HMPE rope lifelines.
“Lifeline Specifications
Lifelines of stranded stainless steel wire
Lifelines of either:
stranded stainless steel wire
HMPE
The minimum diameter is specified in table 8 below
Stainless steel lifelines shall be uncoated and used without close-fitting
sleeving, however, temporary sleeving may be fitted provided it is regularly
removed for inspection.
A lanyard of synthetic rope may be used to secure lifelines provided the gap it
closes does not exceed 100 mm (4”). This lanyard shall be replaced annually
All components of the lifeline enclosure system shall have a breaking strength
no less than the lifeline
When HMPE is used, it shall be protected from chafe and spliced in accordance
with the manufacturer’s recommended procedure.”