Mike, you're not exactly wrong about wire but in defense of UHMPE, it
doesn't chafe or cut as easy as most other cordage and certainly not to the
degree of ease as cotton or hemp cordage.  In fact, when splicing I'm
always surprised that I have to make sure that my knife is quite sharp.  I
actually see the "cutability" as a virtue since it could ease the retrieval
of a MOB or clearing fouled rigging.  It's also relatively quick and easy
to replace should you have to cut it.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+